This is a great dessert to take to someone’s house. This is my summer main dish. You need a bit of time so that your cream can set up.
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup grand mariner
1 1/2 loaves of lemon pound cake.
1 package plain gelatin
1/2 cup boiling water
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 package trimmed and rinsed strawberries
1 package of rinsed blueberries
This does have a cheat with the pound cake so the time is really just the cream. I like the pound cake from fresh market but you can use a lemon pound cake from any bakery.
1. Making the zabaglione
5 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup grand marnier
3. Whip until pale and thick.
Place bowl over a small pot of boiling water continually whipping until doubled in size. About 10 minutes. The yolks will be fluffy and soft almost like a custard but softer.
Remove and stir frequently until Cooled then place in refrigerator to chill.
2. Mix gelatin with water until dissolved. Set a side and let cool to room temp.
3. Use electric mixer to whip the cream into stiff peaks. Chill beaters in freezer for a few minutes before using.
4. Mix your zabaglione and gelatin gently. Slowly fold this mixture into the cream. Once it is mixed well put in the refrigerator for one hour.
5. Once your cream is set start to assemble.
Cube 1/2 of your cake and place in bottom of your trifle bowl. Top with a third of strawberries and blueberries sprinkled around unevenly.
Place half of cream a top
Use remaining fruit to decorate the top. Or let the kids decorate. Keep chilled until serving and enjoy the compliments